Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What to do for Preschool?!?

For my first child (girl), it was all about "starting homeschool"...buying kits...you know how it is....
Number 2 (boy) was not as ready for the writing and cutting or singing and nursery rhymes--he still has no interest in the songs and such! I didn't push it.
Number 3 (girl) likes sitting at the table--and has asked to "do school" since she was 18 months old or so. When number 4 came along (boy), it became necessary to have planned activity for the little two, but there definitely wasn't the funds to spend on a bunch--especially when we have so much laying around! Sure, they got some counting, sorting, etc. in their regular play, but it really should have some thought thrown into it too! And if they are within my sight, there is less likely to be a mess somewhere else!! So, a little mess at the table was fine :)
This past year, for the 3yo, she had a letter book. We kinda did a simplified version of the "letter of the week" curriculum that you can find anywhere and everywhere, including free online, but we definitely spread it out [over about 45 weeks instead of 26]. It's SO easy to do this.
Simplified Letter of the Week for age 3
I started out with an accordian folder that is labelled with the alphabet. In each pocket (a-b, c-d, etc.), I put in things that went with that letter. Any stickers I found, coloring pages, stories from old Highlights magazines or other magazines (i.e. a snake pamphlet was in the S file, some preschool letter cards we have were divided into each one, zoobooks filed appropriately, etc.). I also made sure to include one large printout of each letter in block form. A polka dot alphabet would work also. These letters were for matching letter stickers and maybe items that start with that letter which I usually put on my fingers for her to put on the letter (we used up leftover scrapbooking letter stickers and bought more letter stickers wherever and whenever I saw them on sale) and for cutting and gluing practice. You can go with these collage ideas too.
Where did she glue them? In a cheap wide-ruled notebook that we got on sale last summer. This was her Alphabet Notebook. After she glued on the letter, we filled the next couple pages with other drawings or stickers or color pages or booklets about that letter. For instance--following R, we had stencils of raindrops, cut outs of rectangles, and then rainbows I showed her how to draw.
A little over halfway through the alphabet, she started recognizing letters. She now writes her name in capital letters. We did not work on that--we did not spend a lot of time on this, even, but it was all she needed. You can go way more in depth than we did, but we kept it simple, knowing if it seemed too difficult, I wouldn't follow through. And we only did it on days she asked to do school or really needed some kind of planned activity.
What did my 2yo boy do? nothing really productive, but if he opted to be at the table, he was also allowed stickers, paper, glue, scissors, etc. After turning 3, I will help him start his own alphabet book!
Plans for Notebooks for age 4
In about 3 weeks, I will have a 4 year old. Since completing the alphabet notebook and recognizing most letters for PreK3, I think it is time to focus on numbers for a little while. I may use the same accordian type of system or we could just pull down all the preK wkbks sitting on the shelf. I will mix in colors and shapes also--one of those cheapie ruled notebooks will become her Preschool Book for this year--this REALLY cuts back on the mess of papers and "what do we do with this stuff" question. It also lets her use scissors and a glue stick :)
After this, we will go back to letters. I want her to see the lowercase and I have some wipe-off d'nealian sheets of all the letters that she can trace and try to write them. Maybe she will learn sounds. I plan on letting her watch some you-tube videos (there are adorable nursery rhymes, songs, etc.) and Starfall. We'll add in what we can, but a lot of things will probably be "taught" by my 8yo and 6yo as they take turns with the little ones and we will have newborn twins-- a new twist on daily life that I have no idea what it will bring!!

Just me.....and my ideas on a SIMPLIFIED PreK curriculum!!
Benefits of PreK? I believe it helps with a better ability to sit in Sunday School and other church classes and co-ops. It also teaches without pressure as long as you are laid back about it.
Get too laid back and not do anything? They may not be able to sit and use the glue at storytime at the library or other activities we like to go and enjoy. They will also need more of your help (cutting, etc) when you DO try to do something with them (or various other teachers they may encounter).
Don't forget about your preshoolers and toddlers this year!!
The ideas are really endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment