Thursday, June 25, 2009

Harvest Time

In this part of the country, it is harvest time--more specifically for the farmers, wheat harvest. My dh works on a farm and has helped them with their 600 acres of wheat--his first experience of "the harvest". His job? Hauling the large bales of straw. Before you start to feel sorry for him in this early-in-coming-dog-days-of-summer-99degree-SW-MO-weather, he has air-conditioning and is only out in the heat when he's running between the truck or tractor or dumping the bales :) He has been putting in some LONG 12-14+ hour days though and it will be a relief [somewhat *LOL*] when he makes it home before dinner sometime soon.

Bigger news?!? It's also time to be out blueberry picking!! And even though we haven't braved the heat and prices, I would so love to stock up my freezer with this yummy fruit!
We have had nice friends share some bags of the sweet blue good-for-you treats and I decided we could have some blueberry pancakes this morning. We usually just have cold cereal, but once every couple of weeks, I'll try to do pancakes (sometimes it's cause we're out of milk). Well, I've been looking up different recipes for pancakes and trying to find the easiest to do and this time, I googled "easy blueberry pancakes". And, although I doubted the ease of this recipe, my girls and I found it easy enough to do (and I didn't HAVE to dbl the recipe like usual, although I could have). While my 8yo is beating the egg whites, continually asking if they are "stiff "yet (how am I supposed to know--I hadn't a clue!!), I am mixing up the dry ingredients [I don't "sift" either, just stir] and stumbling over the 3yo with the best intentions of helping also. Thankfully, my boys are later sleepers, so I didn't have TOO much help in the kitchen. My 3yo DID get to add the frozen blueberries and have the first plate of yummy pancakes.

Our review of this recipe?
**** 4 stars!! ALL 4 kids say it is a "keeper" and would be good even without the blueberries. I had to agree after I finally was able to take my first bite also. I did have 3 dirty bowls from preparation instead of just 1, but it may have been worth it for the excellent taste--and whatever "stiff egg whites" even DO for a recipe, I think as long as I have an extra set of hands to do that job, it must be worth it!
ALSO--this would be great if you didn't have syrup (although we did) because the yummy blueberry juice gets spread out and fairly syrupy on its own. It may be tart without the syrup though, depending on the sweetness of your berries.
AND--for a finger food? Maybe after the blueberries have cooled. IMO--Too messy to be picked up and eaten if it has berries in it (unless there are just 1 or 2). I used to do this with regular pancakes before my 2yo knew what syrup was and I didn't want a messy boy to clean up, but today he had a bath after breakfast :)

The only complaint?
"OUCH! That blueberry squirted on me and it burned me(my tongue, my mouth, my lips, etc)!" No real burns, there were smiles on their faces as they shared these apparently wonderful complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment